An Introduction to Construction Estimating
Get started learning about construction estimating!
Are you looking to start your career in construction estimating? Are you looking to start a construction company or a home improvement company and need to learn more about the estimating process? Construction and home improvement contractors must have skilled estimators in order to be successful.
Construction estimating is an essential function that every successful construction and home improvement company masters. Every successful project that a construction company takes on begins with a great estimate. Projects that start with great cost estimates have a much better chance of being successful.
According to the United States Bureau of Labor and Statistics the demand for skilled cost estimators is projected to increase by 9% from 2014 to 2024. This is faster than the average increase of 7%. The 2015 median pay for cost estimators is $60,390 per year. Construction estimators represent a large part of the cost estimating profession.
Construction Estimating 101: Introduction to Construction Estimating provides a foundation for those interested in learning more about this important function. Construction estimators quantify specific details related to construction projects and develop cost estimates based on those quantities.
It makes sense that if the success of your construction company is based on good construction estimating processes that you should start out by learning the basics. This course provides an introduction to the construction estimating process.
Here’s the course chapters and syllabus:
What is Construction Estimating?
What Construction Estimators Do
Four Calculation Types
Using Quantities in Estimates
Adjust Factors to Determine Estimate
Direct Costs vs. Overhead Costs
Developing a Final Estimate
Not All Estimating is Equal
Before You Go
When you purchase this course you will receive the Construct-Ed Estimating Rate Worksheet.
- Click on the chapter titled Introduction
- Scroll down past the video and click on the link for the Estimating Rate Worksheet to download the document.
- The worksheet will help you determine your production rates for the type of work that you complete in your company.
- What are the tasks that construction estimators are responsible for.
- What is construction estimating.
- What construction estimates are used for.
- How construction estimates are used as project management tools.
- What a construction estimate take-off is and how to completed one.
- What the four main quantities that make up construction estimates.
- See sample calculations for each quantity type.
- Learn how to adjust factors affecting cost estimates.
- Understand direct costs versus overhead costs and how they effect construction estimates.
- How to develop a final construction estimate.
- What take-offs are